Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Jamaican Queen

Hi All. Please welcome Andrena from Theories of Anything. As part of the biggest 20SB blog swap ever(!), and Drena's first, please welcome her with open arms. That means comments, lovelies! And if you give a crap, I'm over at her pad today. Cheers!



Today, I’ll be focussing on my love for anything and everything that is Grace Jones and try and do a review that will be worthy of this blog. Thanks Ashley for agreeing to give me this chance to reach a wider audience and to add a post to your quality blog. Thank you all for reading and I hope that my love for music and going to gigs will rub off on a few of you. London is one of the best multicultural and artsy capital for live good and quality music. I’ve spent most of this year going to underground rock and funk gigs at times for only a few quid (pounds). I’ve become a groupie for many up and coming unsigned bands like Astroman, Love Revue and De Tropix. If only I could be Grace Jones groupie.

The Icon, model, performer and singer that is Ms Grace Jones has been seducing London and the rest of the UK for over 6 months now! It seems that Ms Jones has awoken from hibernation and is taking the stage by storm every where she goes. She is still larger than life as she has been twenty seven years ago along side Arnold Schwarzenegge in Conan, The Barbarian and even long before then in the 70s when she transformed from Jamaica girl to the Queen of Gay Disco, the New York underground and Studio 54.

Grace Jones is indeed a true legend. I had the good luck to see her performed live a few months ago. I say good luck because all tickets were sold out and it was only at the last minute that I was able to obtain a ticket through a work colleague. She updated her facebook status with “free extra ticket to Grace Jones concert tomorrow night” and I quickly messaged her and literally begged for the ticket. My heart was racing at the intro when the hard based of Jamaican Reggae beats came on.

"Welcome," she purred seductively before bursting into the throbbing Nightclubbing. "Tonight I'm gonna blow you softly. Then I'm gonna blow you hard. Mmmm, I think you're ready."

And that was what she did! The Grace Jones of today is still scary and sexy. Appearing in a black basque, stockings and those heels, with a toned body that doesn’t look a day over 30 – even though she is now 60, this Jones is all woman and doesn’t appear to be slowing down one bit. Grace just oozes a very special kind of magic, madness and raw talent.
The highlight of my night was the encore.

Few people can hula-hoop flawlessly for five minutes. Fewer still can do it on a podium, sporting a catsuit and mask. Practically none can do it simultaneously belting out muscular, new wave world disco (Slave To The Rhythm) to thousands awestruck viewers.
I’ll leave you with this… The video that I was able to record on my camera of that amazing multitasking performance by the one and only Grace Jones that made the Roundhouse's collective jaw drop an extra half inch! Enjoy this highlight of the best gig I’ve ever been too. This was bigger than John Legend… much bigger than Linkin Park’s Projekt Revolution… even greater than Linkin Park… Only one person alive can bring art, performance and music together in one show. Enjoy this preview of the one and only Grace Jones!



Als Simmons is the owner of the blog Theories of Anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment