Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog Snob



The more involved I get with social media, the more I realize how much of a blog snob I am.

As I see it, when it comes to social media content, it should be easy for the end user to consume. What I mean by that is, it's should be easy to read and understand.

Blogs that get too technical and have too much jargon, even when the topic is rather technical, rarely make it to my Google Reader. If wordy, in depth articles is what I was out to read, I'd do a search for an academic or journal article, not a blog.

With blogs, I expect, concise, easy to read information on whatever topic is being covered. And honestly, I want to hear the opinion of the blogger - that's why I'm there! What they have to say on the subject is just as important as the facts. I'm there for their voice. It's about conversation, and when the content is outside the conversational tone, then it almost becomes daunting.

Those of us who spend any length of time in the social media space tend to have a laundry list of blogs that we read each day. Some we scroll through just to get the gist of what the writer is discussing, others we're sure to read word for word every day. My reader has 75+ blogs in it, can you imagine if each one of those posts was technical in nature?

Visuals help too. Break up those words with a few photos or relevant videos, will ya?

Thanks!

Maybe that makes me a snob, or someone who prefers to get her information at a 6th grade reading level, but as I see it, information in social media should remain conversational - quick and easy to consume. After all, there's so much of it and so little time to sift through the technical jargon.

Just a thought from a dedicated blog writer and reader.

Cheers!

-A


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! Every time I see one of those "100 Things" blog posts, I remove that blog from my reader or person from my SM lists. Who has time to read (let alone digest) all these things? I can barely wrap my head around TEN things a morning. I know I can be long-winded, but a blog list should not contain so many things!

    ReplyDelete